Organized on June
9, 1894, the Blue Springs Hose Company Number One's first Fire
Captain was William Black. The station's equipment was housed
in one of the buildings next to City Hall and consisted of hose
carts, hose and drag ropes.
In 1896, the department
was renamed the Blue Springs Volunteer Fire Department. In 1928,
another reorganization was supervised under Fire Chief, E. E.
Morrow. In that year the department purchased its first fire
truck, a 1928 Chevrolet fitted with a chemical tank. In 1941,
another truck was purchased and the Blue Springs Rural Fire District
was established. The District covers 78 square miles.
In 1963, members of
the Blue Springs Rural Fire District incorporated as a non-profit
corporation established for the purpose of promoting educational,
civic, patriotic, social and athletic events in the Blue Springs
community. Through its history, the corporation has funded a
baseball field, snack shack and restrooms, uniforms, Christmas
lights, thousands of dollars of fire fighting tools, gear and
apparatus. The corporation built the Fireman's
Memorial Hall in 1996 and maintains the premises. In 2006,
the department completed work on a new park shelter in Blue Springs
Organized in 1955
by Donna Thoman to assist & encourage firemen and for community
betterment, meetings of the Fire Belles were first held in member
homes and City Hall until 1968 when a new Fire Hall was completed.
Each year the Fire Belles host a family Christmas party which
has always included a visit by Santa. Over the years there have
been Halloween costume parties, New Years Eve parties and Farewell
parties. They enjoy Christmas caroling in the community followed
by hot chocolate and cookies.
Projects have included bake sales, Easter egg hunts, flea markets,
concession stands for Fireman's Picnics and softball games. They
distribute May baskets home-bound folks and furnished drinks
for the blood mobile.